In The Christmas Reunion, Joleigh makes butterscotch pancakes for breakfast before heading out to take care of the animals on the Twin Forks SPCA. Here are a couple of recipes my family enjoys. One is an adult version that is a favorite with my in-laws while the family version is a traditional New Years day brunch item.
Available at Desert Breeze – http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-126/Lyncee-Shillard-The-Christmas/Detail.bok
- 2 egg(s), beaten
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup(s) flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 cup(s) flour, whole-wheat
- 1/4 cup(s) liqueur, butterscotch, or butterscotch schnapps
- 1/2 cup(s) milk, fat-free evaporated
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup(s) yogurt, low-fat vanilla
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine all ingredients until blended. Cook on a nonstick griddle over medium heat until browned on both sides, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Family friendly version
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1 Preheat oven to 425°F
- 2 Place 1/2 stick of butter into a 9-inch square baking dish and put it into the oven to melt, about 5 minutes. You could toast the chopped walnuts in a separate pan, in the oven at the same time or toast them in a pan on the stove top. Keep an eye on them so they do not burn and toast until fragrant.
- 3 In a large bowl; whisk the milk and eggs together. In another bowl, whisk the flour and granulated sugar together until blended, then whisk in the egg-milk mixture.
- 4 Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, bake until the pancake starts to rise and becomes puffy, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- 5 Meanwhile, in a medium sized saucepan; cook the brown sugar, salt, and 2 tablespoons of water over medium heat, stirring until bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- 6 Stir in the other 1/2 stick of butter, the sour cream, and the sliced bananas; heat through.
- 7 Drizzle the pancake with half of the butterscotch-banana sauce and sprinkle with the toasted walnuts.
- 8 Slice and serve with the rest of the sauce on the side.