As Mother Nature and Ole Man Winter are ‘loving’ each other and burying my small part of the world… I seek comfort food. Some of my favorite comfort food is made in my trusty crock-pot (my most loyal friend in the kitchen).
This recipe traditional uses sherry BUT I use Merlot (mainly because I always have some handy ;D)
What you need…
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter or margarine
- 3 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pearl onions, blanched and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless pork loin, tied
- 1/2 cup Merlot
- 2 Tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
What you do….
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the butter and melt.
- Next, add the red onions and pearl onions.
- Sauté until vegetables are soft.
- You want to season with salt and pepper.
- Rub the pork loin with salt and pepper and place in the slow cooker.
- Add the sautéed onions, sherry and parsley.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove the pork loin from the slow cooker and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Combine the cornstarch and water and add to the juice in the slow cooker to thicken the sauce.