Summer is almost done 😥 Actually for me it is. I went back to the crazy day job on Monday…
But never fear this week’s Thirsty and Tasty is features some summer yumminess…. Blueberries.
This is actually one of favorite summer drinks and I can’t believe I have done it on T&T before. It’s light. It’s refreshing. It has blueberries. And Rum – 2 flavors. So what’s not to like?
What you need:
- 2 lemon slices
- 8 blueberries
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 part light rum
- 2 parts coconut rum
What you do:
- In a rocks glass or cocktail shaker, muddle the lemon slices, blueberries and brown sugar together. Pour into a tom collins glass, then fill the glass with ice. Pour the rum over the ice.
- Garnish with additional blueberries and a wedge of lemon.
While I love love love this cake, I don’t make it as often as I want because… well because… I eat it – A LOT of it.
What you need for the Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- For the topping
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup toasted flake coconut
- What you do:
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×9-inch square baking pan.
- Whisk 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt together in a mixing bowl; set aside. Toss the blueberries in a little of the flour mixture until coated; set aside.
- Beat the shortening and 1 cup sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Pour in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing until just incorporated. Fold in the floured blueberries, mixing just enough to evenly combine. Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- To make the topping, combine 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup flour, and the cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender until no small pieces of butter remain. Stir in the toasted coconut, then sprinkle the topping evenly over the cake.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.